Recently, we were asked to mitigate radon from five units in a senior living facility in Plano. When a large company is purchasing a multi-family property with HUD financing, they are asked to do radon testing. This property in Plano was asked to test 25% of the ground floor units. Five of the units came back with higher than the actionable level of 4.0 Picocuries. We quickly mitigated the five units, but the owner asked me, “If five of the units came back with higher radon levels out of 25% of the units tested, wouldn’t there likely be more units with a radon issue?” Of course the answer is Yes. We ended up testing all the ground floor units of this Plano senior living facility and found that over 40% of them had elevated levels of radon.

There’s two real issues here. One, that’s a lot of units in a small area with elevated levels of Radon. Two, there are so many other properties that do the 25% radon testing, but only fix the few units with elevated radon levels from that original 25%. They leave the other 75% untested!

In the owner of the Plano property’s case, he took it upon himself and did the right thing. He tested the whole property and we mitigated radon from all 120 units. In the end, all units have levels below 2.0 Picocuries.

If you live in Plano, there is a chance you have high levels of radon in your home. If you live in an apartment in Plano, they may have already tested 25%, but your unit wasn’t ever tested. Please ask your property manager if they have tested. If you own a home in Plano, please get your home tested as soon as possible.

Schedule your Radon test here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Thanks,

Brad Warren

972-567-3257

%d bloggers like this: